Hoyts Kinema Theatre
719-721 Military Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north Sydney suburb of Mosman. The 1,500-seat Kinema was opened in 1915. It was designed by architect Rupert Minnett, and had all seating on a single floor. On 6th November 1916, it became the second cinema to be operated by Hoyts Theatres. The Kinema was destroyed by a fire on 31st May 1921, leaving only the facade and two walls standing.
The Kinema was re-built, opening on 24th September 1921 with Vera Gordon in "The Greatest Love" and Priscilla Dean in "Reputation". It was closed on 20th July 1935 for ‘extensive decorative changes’, which incurred demolition of the building.
A new Hoyts Kinema Theatre was opened on 4th January 1936 with "Paul Robeson in “Sanders of the River" and Ralph Lynn in "Stormy Weather". Designed in an Art Deco style by architect Charles Bohringer, it had a seating capacity for 1,620, with 1,072 in the stalls and 548 in the circle. There was a 25 feet deep stage. The Kinema Theatre was considered one of the most beautiful of Hoyts suburban Sydney theatres.
The Hoyts Kinema Theatre was closed on 26th January 1963 with Rosalind Russell in "A Majority of One".
In June 1963, the building was leased to the Bank of NSW. It was sold in December 1968 to the Mosman R.S.L. and used as a social club. In early-1973, it was demolished and a new R.S.L. social club was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater