Opera House

114-116 East Robberts,
Kingfisher, OK 73750

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 5 comments

missmelbatoast
missmelbatoast on April 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm

roadsideoklahoma has recent pictures of the old Opera House
http://www.roadsideoklahoma.com/node/61

raybradley
raybradley on March 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Found on google maps is this recent street view of the old Grand Opera House (AKA-Electric),
View link

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 2, 2011 at 9:39 am

Bob, it was the Grand Opera House on Main Street that opened in 1900. It replaced the old Opera House on Roberts Street that had burned down in August that year, according to the historic plaque on this page (lower right.)

Because the original Opera House burned in 1900, it must never have operated as a regular movie theater, though it probably hosted one or two of the movie exhibitors who travelled the country during the period from 1896 into the early 20th century. For that reason it probably shouldn’t be listed at Cinema Treasures. The Grand Opera House, however, did later become a movie house, and is listed here under its later name the Electric Theatre.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on March 1, 2011 at 11:19 am

The building at the above address was built in 1900.

More info and photos are always welcome.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 28, 2011 at 9:26 pm

The 1899-1900 issue of Julius Cahn’s Official Theatrical Guide lists an Opera House at Kingfisher. The seating capacity was 500, the proscenium was 30 feet wide and 18 feet high, the distance from footlights to the back wall was 18 feet, and the distance between side walls was 30 feet.

The 1904-1905 edition of the guide describes a somewhat different theater called the Grand Opera House. It seated 600, and had a proscenium only 24 feet wide and 16 feet high, but the distance from footlights to back wall was 32 feet and the distance between side walls was 50 feet.

I don’t know if the Opera House of 1900 and the Grand Opera House of 1904 were entirely different theaters, or if the original theater had been expanded and altered. Both were listed as second floor houses.