470 Borough Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located at the corner of Borough Road, between Kingsland Road and Carlton Road. The Plaza Theatre was built for and operated the local Bedford Cinemas Ltd. chain. It opened on 2nd August 1930 with Norma Shearer in "The Last of Mrs. Cheyney".
The exterior of the building was in brick, with white stone dressings to give a Neo-Classical style appearance. Inside, the foyer and auditorium were in an Art Deco style. Seating was provided for 1,860 in the stalls and 700 in the circle. The proscenium was 40 feet wide, and there was a fully equipped stage which was 18 feet deep, with four dressing rooms. There was a Compton 3Manual/12Ranks organ, and on the first floor above the entrance foyer was a large tea-room/cafe.
The Plaza Theatre sustained some bomb damage in early-1941, which resulted in its closure until April 1941. The Plaza Theatre began to run part-time bingo in the mid-1960’s, but soon returned to full-time cinema use.
The Plaza Theatre was closed on 3rd March 1973 with Clint Eastwood in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". It was converted into a Mecca Bingo Club, which operated until early-November 1997. The building became vandalised and arson damaged by fire. It was demolished in May 2001, and today a builders merchants operates from the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater