Tudor Theatre Super Cinema
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Theatre Royal was located adjacent to a mill on Theatre Lane, near the Market Place and the present ring road. It was opened in 1865, and was partially destroyed by fire on 4th May 1895, which destroyed the stage area. Rebuilt to the plans of Manchester & Southport based architect Charles Sydney Ingham, it re-opened on 12th August 1895. The stage was now 34 feet deep and the proscenium 24 feet wide.
The Theatre Royal was converted into a cinema from 6th July 1931, and was given a Tudor style makeover, becoming the Tudor Theatre Super Cinema, when it was operated by Northern Theatres Co. Ltd. The cinema had a cafe for the convenience of its patrons.
After CinemaScope was installed in the 1950’s, it had a 37 feet wide proscenium, and became part of the Essoldo Cinemas chain from October 1957. The Tudor Theatre Super Cinema was closed in May 1965, with the site being purchased by the local council for demolition to provide a road widening scheme and for use as a car park.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater