Yucca Drive-In

641 U.S. Highway 70,
Alamogordo, NM 88310

450 cars

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

dallasmovietheaters on September 5, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Mr. and Mrs. Marshall Sanguinet launched the predecessor to the Yucca with Alamogordo’s first drive-in, the Starlite Outdoor Theatre on December 9, 1949. The Starlite was located on Highway 70 two miles southwest of the city. In 1952, Sanguinet would begin to build the Yucca north of the city but — apparently — water hook-up was challenging and the theatre would construction, two miles north of the city also on Highway 70 / Highway 54, was halted. During that prolonged process, Sanguinet would sell out to Theatre Enterprises Inc. Circuit which operated the Mesa and White Sands theatres

The ozoner finally launched with a 457-car capacity and its 62x44' screen was the largest in southern New Mexico. Cliff Keim managed both the Yucca and Starlite as well as the White Sands and Mesa though now al in the Frontier Theatres Circuit Inc.’s portfolio. Grace Methodist Church began drive-in services in 1954 at the Yucca.

jwmovies on January 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Approx. address for this drive-in was 641 US Hwy 70.