4 Swan Lane,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Grand Cinema Palace was opened in late-February 1913. It was a single floor cinema, and had a pay-box on the street, with entrance doors leading directly into the auditorium. By the early-1920’s, it was owned by a company who built the Scala Theatre at the rear in 1923.
With the coming of sound films, the directors of the owning company decided to concentrate all their efforts into the Scala Theatre, and close the Grand Cinema. They installed a Western Electric Sound System in the Scala Theatre in September 1930. The Grand Cinema was closed as a silent cinema on 9th May 1931 with Cullen Landis in “Flaming Justice” and Chapter 6 of the serial “The Spell of the Circus”.
The building was later used as a billiard hall, a grocer’s shop and a hairdressers. For a while it was known as the Savoy Hall. Demolished in 1974, a supermarket was built on the site, today operating as an Aldi supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater