1310 North Queen Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Park Theatre in Kinston was one of the first shopping center theatres in Eastern North Carolina, having been opened August 21, 1951 under H.B. Meiselman Theatres. The theatre had a freestanding box office in front of the entrance and mirrors on the lower facade, under the marquee. The lobby had a stairway to the left side, leading to upstairs restrooms (the only ones in the theatre) and the balcony (closed after 1970). The auditorium was draped with satin curtains all around, and also had a satin-lined ceiling. The curtain over the screen rose vertically with scalloped edges on the bottom.
The Park Theatre was run by H.B. Meiselman Theatres until 1969 and then by Eastern Federal in 1969-1970. Competition from Stewart & Everett’s newer suburban theatres (the Mall and Plaza Cinemas) eventually sealed the Park’s fate, and it was closed in 1982 when it was operated by Martin Theatres. It has sinced been gutted and converted to retail space. The building is vacant in 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater