No one has favorited this theater yet
The New Cinema was built by the Stratford on Avon Picture House Co., part of the Clifton Cinemas circuit, and construction was well under way when war was declared in September 1939. Building work was allowed to continue on the cinema, and it opened on 9th November 1940 with Marius Goring in “The Case of the Frightened Lady”. Designed by the architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts, with E.S. Roberts as supervising architect. The brick facade had a set of tall centrally placed windows over the entrance, and there was a fin-tower feature on the right of the building. This gave the look of an Odeon Theatre, but without the cream faiance tiles on the facade. Seating was provided on a stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear. The proscenium was 35 feet wide.
After the end of World War II and by 1947, it had been re-named Warwick Cinema. In the early-1960’s, bingo was tried out on a part time basis, and it soon closed as a cinema and became a full time bingo club. The bingo club was closed in the 1980’s, and the building became a car showroom for the Healey sports cars company. It had been demolished by the mid-1990’s, and a block of flats known as Healey Court was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater