Town Theatre

56 Public Square,
Watertown, NY 13601

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 2 comments

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 12, 2017 at 7:52 pm

The July 3, 1976, issue of the Watertown Daily Times (PDF here) has a bit more information about the Wonderland Theatre. The Wonderland opened in August, 1906, and was expanded and renamed the Palace in 1917.

Schine gained control of the house in 1928, then kept it closed until 1933, when it was reopened by an independent operator under a lease. Schine took back the house in 1936, operating it until 1949, when it was sold to Richmor Enterprises, who remodeled and changed the name to the Town Theatre.

The article doesn’t say how long the house operated as the Town, but the building in which it was situated was demolished in 1976. Its site is under the footprint of a large residential building called the Henry Keep Apartments.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on January 26, 2015 at 11:50 am

The December 17, 1921, issue of Exhibitors Trade Review reported the sale of three houses operated at Watertown by Papayanakos Brothers to the Robbins Amusement Company of Utica. One of them was the Palace. Papayanakos Brothers had taken over this house in 1907,when it was called the Wonderland Theatre. It was renamed the Palace following a later remodeling (probably after 1916.) Robbins also took over the Olympic and Antique Theatres in Watertown as part of the same deal.