Smithdown Picture Playhouse
26 Smithdown Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Toxteth/Edge Hill district of Liverpool on Smithdown Road at the corner of Magdala Street. The Smithdown Picture Playhouse was opened on 22nd February 1915. The auditorium side-walls were decorated with tapestries. The proscenium was 27 feet wide and there was a small stage.
It was taken over by the Bedford circuit in 1921, and in 1928, it was taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain, but the lease was terminated and it returned to the independent ownership of its original operators Smithdown Picture Playhouse Ltd.
The Smithdown Picture Playhouse was closed on 11th September 1963 with Joanne Woodward in “Woman of Straw” and John Agar in “Hand of Death”. Two days later it re-opened as a bingo club. It was later taken over by Tesco and converted into a supermarket.
The building was later demolished to build a new Tesco Supermarket, which became a Kwik Save supermarket. It later became a T.A.C. supermarket and by 2019 a Freshmart Superstore.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater