Hornsby Odeon Cinema

155 Pacific Highway,
Hornsby,
Sydney, NSW 2077

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 3 comments

ianej
ianej on October 12, 2018 at 1:44 pm

The Odeon claims to be the only single-screen cinema left in Sydney.

ianej
ianej on October 12, 2018 at 1:40 pm

The Odeon opened in 1914 as Hornsby Cinema with the foyer on street level. The cinema was rebuilt in 1921 and again in the 1930s when art deco was at the forefront of building design. The cinema retains its facade on Hornsby’s ‘old side’ and was named The Odeon in the mid-90s.

johngleeson
johngleeson on February 3, 2013 at 1:22 am

The original theatre on this site was an open-air type, owned by Buck Buchanan. It had corrugated iron walls and deck chairs, showing silents accompanied by piano and violin. Sold in 1923 to David Glover who built a new theatre. It had stalls in the lower level (now shops) and the upper level had the lounge, dress circle and several balconies. This building survives today and is closing in on its 100th birthday.