593 Bridge Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in Wellington, Shropshire, at the corner of Bridge Road and Wrekin Road. The Clifton Cinema was opened on 18th January 1937 by the Clifton Cinemas chain. The opening films were “Captain January” starring Shirley Temple and “The Big Noise” starring Alistair Sim. The building was a carbon copy of the Rosum Cinema, Leamore near Walsall, which Satchwell & Roberts had designed in 1936. Seating was provided for 808 in the stalls and 380 in the circle. It had a 42 feet wide proscenium. The was a car park which could accommodate 150 cars.
In 1975, it was equipped with new Westrex projectors. In 1979, Modernisation Ltd. were employed to refurbish the cinema. A drop wall was constructed under the front of the circle, and the rear stalls area was converted into a bar & cafe. The rest of the auditorium walls were draped, new screen curtains were installed as well as a new screen. Seating was also recovered and carpets replaced.
The Clifton Cinema was closed on 27th April 1981 with “Hot Bubblegum” and “Going Steady”. The building was purchased by Saverite supermarkets and the stalls converted into a supermarket. The former circle re-opened as a cinema in May 1987 and closed on 24th December 1988. The building later went into use by Dunelm Fabrics furnishing store until they moved out in September 2012. There is now a community based campaign to purchase the site and convert it into a multi-purpose arts centre, with a cinema and much more.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater