35 Shaftesbury Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Fordingbridge, Hampshire. The Picture House was operating prior to 1934. It had 250 seats and a 20 feet wide proscenium. By 1937, it had been re-named Regal Cinema. By 1944, under the ownership of Harold Baim, it was re-named Glendale Theatre.
By 1947, another change of ownership returned the Regal Cinema name. Operated by Constellation Cinemas which also operated the Plaza Cinema, Lyndhurst, in the nearby New Forest, both very much small town cinemas.
Information about the Regal Cinema is hard to come by but the Kine Yearbook for 1951 informs us that it had BTH equipment, 223 seats and performances were non-continuous, not surprising when the poulation of Fordingbridge was around 3,500 at the time.
By 1963, it was operated by Haggar’s Cinemas Ltd., and they are still listed as operators in the 1966 edition of Kine Yearbook, possible closing in late-1965. The exact closure date is not known, but from 1966 until the early-2010’s it was used by Branksome Pottery, to manufacture and sell their own special brand of porcelain tableware.
In late-2016 work began to convert the Regal Cinema into flats which will include a 30-seat cinema (located in the former rear stalls). It re-opened on 30th June 2017 with a screening of “Casablanca”.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater