Balsall Heath Road & Longmore Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Balsall Heath district south of Birmingham city centre in what was for many years Birmingham’s ‘red light’ district around Balsall Heath Road and Longmore Street. The Balsall Heath Picture House was opened in October 1913. Seating was provided on a single level. There was a decorative barrel-vaulted ceiling and the proscenium was 25 feet wide. It was designed by architect Ewen Harper & Brother.
In 1932, it was altered to the plans of architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts, who installed a stepped raised section at the rear of the auditorium, which was known as the circle seating area.
In the 1940’s, it was purchased by A.W. Rogers and was re-named Luxor Cinema. Soon, by 1944, it was part of the Victoria Playhouse Group. It closed as a regular cinema in 1961.
It was re-opened as an Asian cinema, screening East Indian (Bollywood) films and was re-named Starlight Cinema. In the early-1980’s it went back to the Luxor Cinema name, but was closed in 1983. It was later demolished and the site has been grassed over.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater