Palladium Picture House
11-12 King William Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Palladium Picture Theatre was opened on 9th February 1915 with “Nero and Agrippina”. It was operated by Augustus Pell and was a single level cinema, with seating for 400. The proscenium was 30 feet wide.
In 1930, it was taken over by Charles Orr & Harold Philpot and was re-decorated and a circle added, to bring the seating capacity up to 600. The projection box was retained at the rear of the stalls. Philpot took full control in 1933 until 1937.
In 1939, a new projection box was built at the rear of the circle. The Palladium Picture Theatre was closed in October 1940, when it was damaged by German bombs. It was re-opened on 13th January 1941.
By 1954 it was known as the Palladium Picture House. It was never equipped with CinemaScope, and ran older films until the supply ran out in 1962.
In 1963, it re-opened as an Asian cinema, screening East Indian (Bollywood) films, and a ‘scope sized screen was installed. This eventually closed at the end of 1981. The building was then converted into a furniture store, and a new concrete floor was inserted inside the auditorium.
By 1985, it became the Annabelle Casino, and has gone through several names, currently operating as the Mint Casino.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater