Bull Ring & Ettymore Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Sedgley, midway between Wolverhampton & Dudley. The Clifton Cinema was built for the Cifton Cinemas chain, headed by Sydney Clift with Leon Salberg, Ernest Roberts & Roland Satchwell as directors. The Clifton Cinema was opened on 17th May 1937 with Clark Gable in “San Francisco”. Seating was provided for 779 in the stalls and 312 in the circle.
There were occasional pop shows staged in the 1950’s and into the 1960’s. In the mid-1970’s bingo took over on a couple of days a week. The Clifton Cinema was closed on 17th June 1978 with Joan Collins in “The Stud” and “The Anna Contract”. It was converted into a full time bingo club, which closed in January 1996.
It was purchased by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs, and re-opened as ‘The Clifton’ on 17th December 1998. In most cases, Wetherspoon’s retain the original style and decorations in their buildings, but unfortunately, The Clifton is not one of them.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater