No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the town centre of Nelson, Lancashire. The Grand Theatre was opened in 1888. It was designed by architect T. Bell in a Gothic/Neo-Classical style. Seating was provided in orchestra stalls, dress circle and gallery levels. The proscenium was 31 feet wide.
In 1923, it was renovated and the dress circle and gallery were removed, and replaced by a single balcony. By 1934, it was in cinema use, although some live show use continued into the late-1940’s.
The Grand Theatre was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain in June 1960, together with the towns' Majestic Theatre and Palace Cinema, and they operated the Grand Theatre until May 1974. It was taken over by independent management, but this didn’t last long, and it was then taken over by the Unit Four Cinemas chain based in Burnley, Lancashire. They soon closed the building, and it was left empty and unused, becoming derelict.
It was destroyed by a fire in 2000, and has since been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater