Gaumont Whitley Bay
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Whitley Bay, a seaside town to the north of Newcastle upon Tyne, at the corner of Espanade and Promenade. The Empire Cinema was opened 30th June 1910, and was part of the North of England Cinemas chain. It was designed by architect Henry Gibson (and possibly his partner Pascal Joseph Steinlet).
In 1923, the Empire Cinema was rebuilt to the plans of architectural firm Percy L. Browne & Glover of Newcastle upon Tyne. In March 1928, it was taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain. Re-named Gaumont from 28th August 1950, it was taken over by an independent operator on 27th November 1960 (possibly reverting back to the Empire name?). The cinema was closed in 1962.
It was converted into a bingo club, and was later a ballroom then Sylvester’s nightclub. In November 2008, the building stood empty and unused, but was demolished in 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater