1823 Strauss Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Originally planned to be named the Portia Theatre by the Sterling Amusement Company, it was built in 1914, opening later that year as the Palace Theatre. It was located in the Brownsville section of Brooklyn on the southwest corner of Douglas Street and East New York Avenue, around the corner from the now-closed Loew’s Pitkin Theatre. The Palace Theatre was equipped with a Moller 3 manual 16 rank theatre pipe organ.
It was leased to Loew’s Inc. in August 1915 and renamed Loew’s Palace Theatre. In December 1918, alterations to the interior were carried out by architect Thomas Lamb. Loew’s Inc. operated the Palace Theatre until 1955.
Story has it, that it didn’t have air conditioning which forced its early retirement from the movies. In May 1955 it was taken over by an independent operator Jacob Jacobs to be used as a Yiddish theatre from the fall of 1955. But this was a short lived venture and it returned to movies, operated by the Island Theatre Circuit, closing in 1969. Demolished in the 1980’s after the roof caved in.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater