No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on Northgate at the corner of Gladstone Street. The Alhambra Palace was opened on 22nd March 1913. It was an imposing building and was considered at the time to be the most luxurious cinema in the town. Seating was provided for 559 in the stalls and 369 in the circle. Initially it had rear projection from a projection box located on the stage behind the screen. Later a new projection box was built.
The Alhambra Palace was taken over by the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres(PCT) chain on 5th January 1925. In February 1929 they were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain.
It was re-named Gaumont on 11th December 1950. The Gaumont was closed by the Rank Organisation on 15th February 1964 with Christopher Lee in “Pirates of Blood River”. It lay empty and unused for several years, and was demolished in 1973, and an office block was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater