11 New Market,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Morpeth, Northumberland. The Coliseum Cinema was opened in 1926. Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It had a 26 feet wide proscenium and a 23 feet deep stage. An additional facility was the provision of a cafe. Initially independently operated, in the 1930’s it was taken over by the Stanley Rogers Circuit Ltd. of Newcastle-upon Tyne.
In the late-1940’s, it was taken over by the E.J. Hinge Circuit. It was closed around 1964 and converted into a bingo club.
In 1976, the circle was twinned and it re-opened as a cinema, with bingo still operating in the former stalls. Later, the former stage was bricked-in at the proscenium and was converted into a gym, while the stall area ceased bingo and was converted into retail use. Part of the foyer was converted into a bar, named The Movies.
The twin screen cinema in the circle closed in 1999, and the circle divide was removed. The space was used as a mixed use cinema and nightclub for a while, but it was closed to films on 20th July 2000.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater