126 Fall Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally the former Wesleyan Chapel in Seneca Falls. It became Johnson Hall, then Johnson Opera House. It was converted into a movie theatre known as Doyle’s Moving Picture House. In 1917 it became the Regent Theatre, and gave Seneca Falls three movie houses. Almost next door to the Regent Theatre was the Fisher Theatre (later the Strand Theatre), which had opened in 1915.
The Fisher Theatre and an even older house, the Seneca Theatre, both outlasted the Regent Theatre, which had closed within a few years. In later years the building was converted for many uses, including an automobile dealership, a market, an office for the telephone company, a roller skating rink, and a laundromat.
The Wesleyan Chapel had been the site of an historic meeting in 1848 which had launched the women’s rights movement in the United States. In 1985, the property was purchased by the National Park Service, and has since been engaged in a gradual restoration of what remains of the 1843 chapel as the centerpiece of the Women’s Rights National Historic Park. The nearby Strand Theatre was demolished as part of this project. Almost the only parts of the original chapel building (and of the Regent Theatre) that remain are the side walls.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater