2 Huddersfield Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Brighouse, West Yorkshire on Huddersfield Road close to Bradford Road. The Albert Theatre was built in 1899, opening on 30th September 1899 when an exhibition was held there. The first stage show was a presentation by the Huddersfield Amateur Operatic Society of “Iolanthe” on 20th September 1899. It was designed by architects Sharp & Warner and had seating for 1,098 provided in orchestra stalls, dress circle and gallery levels. It was the first theatre in the area to be illuminated by electricity.
Films were being presented around 1900, and by 1906, it was presenting regular film performances. The Albert Theatre became a full time cinema in 1910. It was soon presenting cine-variety shows.
It was equipped with a Western Electric sound system, when on 21st April 1930 the film “Mothers Boy” staring Morton Downey was screened. Its Victorian style auditorium was rebuilt later in 1930, when the three tier auditorium and boxes were removed to allow for the construction of a single tier circle and decoration in an Art Deco style.
In 1953, the Albert Theatre was taken over by the Leeds based Star Cinemas chain, and they equipped it with CinemaScope. The Albert Theatre was closed on 31st July 1971, and was converted into a Star Bingo Club, which was opened by TV’s Coronation Street actress Pat Phoenix. The bingo club was closed in 2007, and the building was converted into the Barracuda Bar which was renovated and re-named The Calder on 26th November 2008.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater