7-9 Station Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the small town of Desborough, Northamptonshire, between Kettering and Market Harborough. The Oddfellows Hall was owned by the Oddfellows Friendly Society, and was used as a community hall, as well as screening film prior to 1910. In 1913 it was re-named Electric Palace, but by 1920 had reverted back to the Oddfellows Hall name and became a full time 430-seat cinema.
It had a 22 feet wide proscenium and a 6 feet deep stage. Around 1944, it was refurbished, with the facade given an Art Deco style and it was re-named Ritz Cinema. Bingo was introduced on some nights a week in the 1960’s, and by the late-1960’s, it had closed as a cinema, and became a full time bingo club.
By 1992, bingo had ceased and it became the Ritz Ballroom. This closed in 2004, and plans were proposed to demolish the building. However it was saved, although it stood empty and unused for five years, becoming increasingly derelict.
Purchased by a local businessman Kris Maulde, it was refurbished and re-opened in 2010 as a banquet hall & conference suite which has a total capacity for 750, and is named ‘The Ritz’.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater