Alhambra Palace Theatre
Marine Road West,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located on the Promenade at the corner of Regent Road, in this Lancashire seaside town. The Alhambra Palace Theatre was opened in 1901 as a music hall, located on the first floor of the building. Other parts of the building contained a market at ground floor level, shops, offices and a restaurant. The proscenium was 29 feet wide, the stage 30 feet deeps and there were 14 dressing rooms.
In 1909, films were being screened, and in 1910, it was granted a Cinematograph Licence. Films were initially screened in the winter months.
It was equipped with a British Acoustics sound system in the late-1920’s, and was re-named Astoria Super Cinema. It now programmed a mix of films and variety shows. The Astoria Super Cinema was closed in September 1939 when World War II began, but unlike other cinemas, it did not re-open within weeks, but remained closed until the end of the war in 1945.
Reopening in 1946 as the Alhambra Palace Theatre, it was in use as a live theatre only. The Alhambra Palace Theatre was used extensively as a location for the filming in 1960, of “The Entertainer” starring Lawrence Olivier. It was closed in 1970 following a fire in the building. After repairs were carried out to the auditorium, it was converted into a discotheque, which operated into at least 1989. It became the Carleton Club, a nightclub, which also hosted events such as boxing, wrestling and beauty pageants. By 1992, the name on the building was Alhambra Leisure Centre, containing an amusement arcade among its attractions. By 2009, the ground floor was back in retail use again as an antique market. The Carleton Club was closed in 2015 and the building has been sold to be converted into flats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater