Picture House

5 Tavern Street,
Ipswich, IP1 3AA

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

Bigmitre
Bigmitre on January 20, 2016 at 5:34 am

As a matter of interest the organ was supplied in 1927 by Bishop & Son. the console was originally installed in the orchestra pit with the stage front being adapted so that the organist could see the screen. Later the console was placed on a moveable platform and could be ‘winched’ out from the wings by winding a handle. The organ which was essentially a church instrument was purchased form the cinema (date uncertain) by a builder from East Grinstead. It was subsequently installed by Bishop and Son at Bedminster Methodist Church Bristol in C1950. It is believed to still be there (Jan 2016). The church was closed several years ago and the new owners thought that they would like to keep the instrument as part of an arts centre.