24 High Town Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Luton, Bedfordshire. The Hightown Electric Theatre was opened on 24th August 1912. It had an attractive stone facade, and originally had 550 seats, all on a single level. For a while at some time it was known as the Picturedrome.
In March 1928 it was taken over by the General Theatre Corporation(GTC) and two months later was taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres chain, who installed a Western Electric(WE) sound system.
Life under Gaumont did not last long, as in May 1929 it was sold to the Southam Morris chain, and was renamed Plaza Cinema from May 1931.
The Plaza Cinema was closed in October 1937 due to damage by a fire. Repairs were carried out and it re-opened and continued to operate until around 1956. It became a warehouse, and was use as storage until it was demolished in 1979. Today, a small car park occupies the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater