27 Belgrave Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Manly and Bondi are Sydney’s most popular beachfront suburbs but Manly has a larger year-round influx of tourists that helps theatres stay in business.
Hoyts entered the scene in 1951 by buying the Moderne Theatre from the Snider & Dean chain. This theatre had opened in November, 1935, with a simple Art Moderne style from architect David Gillespie, which inspired its name. In 1936, it was re-named Manly Theatre, and a few months later it became the New Manly Theatre.
MGM had arrived in Manly in 1950, when they took over the former Arcadia/Century Theatre, and Hoyts were quick to follow by buying the New Manly Theatre in February 1951, and changing the name to Hoyts. Following refurbishment, the Hoyts Manly had its gala debut on 22nd March 1951. Hoyts had a great run with this small house, keeping it open until May 1978.
An independent operator took over under the name of Flicks, but before long movies gave way to rock concerts. In September 1979 Flicks was closed and the new guise was Diana’s, a music venue. American artiste Bo Diddley was the Christmas attraction.
In May 1980, the building was put up ‘For Sale’ and demolished. A four level office block Tracon House now occupies the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater