No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Rushden, Northamptonshire. The Palace Cinema was opened on 19th September 1910 by Mr. and Mrs. William Hewitt who came to Rushden from London in 1889. The architect was Frederick E. Preston. The Hewitt’s had also built the Palace Cinema in Wellingborough and later went on to open the new Ritz Cinema in Rushden in 1936, which was built at the rear of the Palace Cinema.
The Palace Cinema closed in October 1956, W. R. Hewitt, a director of the Palace Company, explained that the reason for selling the Palace Cinema was the burden of Entertainment Tax and rising costs in general. In 1936 when the Hewitt’s Ritz Cinema had opened, they expected the Palace Cinema to close down soon after, however World War II helped keep it going and loyal patronage too. It was converted to a car showroom in 1965 and has since been demolished and flats built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater