344 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Erected almost in the shadow of the Johnson City arch, on the north side of Main Street opposite Floral Avenue, the Citilyne Theatre (variously mangled, even in its own advertisements, as Citiline, City Line or Cityline) was opened in June 1918. The name of the house was determined by contest, with a Mrs. F.E. Carr winning a $5 prize for the winning entry. The theatre was run by William Mack more or less in tandem with the Endwell Theatre in Johnson City.
The Citilyne underwent a remodeling in 1921 (as did the Endwell Theater and the Goodwill Theater, both shutting down for several months under Mack’s aegis), and continued to operate until 1930, most likely another casualty of the conversion to talkies. Rather like the Peoples' Theatre downtown, the Citilyne Theater appears to have been converted into a nightclub, the “Beverly Gardens” for a few years, continuing until around 1934.
As late as the 1980’s, an apartment building on this block displayed an unusual nickelodeon-style arch entrance arrayed with stars. Whether this was the site of the Citilyne Theater or not is not known, but the arch entranceway in question is no longer evident on any of the buildings that remain. The theater building most likely has been demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater