3745 N. Southport Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Opened as the Blaine Theatre, a nickelodeon, in 1912, the theatre later showed silent films until around 1920.
From 1920 until 1947, the former theatre served as a carpet cleaning factory.
Purchased by the DeKoven family that same year, the building served a series of retail uses until 1994, when it was purchased by Michael Cullen and Joe Carlucci and transformed back into a theatre, the Mercury Theatre, a 300-seat legitimate house, which opened in 1996 with “Pope Joan”.
The building now also houses two very popular restaurants, Cullen’s Bar & Grill and Strega Nona.
The Mercury Theatre is located just a few doors down from the landmark Music Box Theatre on trendy Southport Avenue, in the neighborhood of the same name. It was closed on March 16, 2020 due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. It was announced that it would be closed permanently at the end of June 2020.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater