338 Holloway Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Opened as the Savoy Cinema by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) on 5th February 1940, it was one of only a few cinemas that had been virtually completed as war broke out in September 1939 and was allowed to continue to open as planned. Designed by ABC staff architect William R. Glen in a modern Art Deco style.
It was re-named the ABC in 1962 and in 1979 they leased it to the independent Coronet Cinemas chain, who re-named it the Coronet Cinema.
The Coronet Cinema closed on 22nd June 1983 with the films “Blade Runner” and “Body Heat” playing in a double bill in the still unaltered cinema.
In 1984, the auditorium was converted into a snooker hall with a false ceiling across from the front of the balcony, the balcony became an un-used area attracting flocks of pigeons. The foyer became an amusement arcade.
By 1987, the building had become vacant and lay unused. J.D. Wetherspoon purchased the building and it was converted into a pub in their chain, re-opening as The Coronet on 14th March 1996, restoring all the features of the cinema.
The refurbishment and restoration of this former cinema won awards for the Wetherpoon chain of pubs, and it is a great place to go and have a pint of beer and a meal and take in the atmosphere of a suburban movie palace.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater