Alhambra Opera House
No one has favorited this theater yet
The imposing three story Alhambra Opera House (or Taft & Gardner block) was opened in February 1913 and was showing movies on a regular basis by 1915. Several photos available on the internet (but all in copyright), reveal a wooden three story structure with a high third floor (apparently a ballroom) and a balcony across the entire front of the building. The opera house was located right next to the bridge, most likely on the south side, just east of the crossing.
The pictoral book “Cortland County,” in which a picture of the opera house appears, asserts that the theater was later converted to a hotel, the Cincinnatus Hotel (not to be confused with the still-standing Griffin). It was still in use as an opera house in 1923, and was listed in the 1929 edition of Film Daily Yearbook.
Although satellite view on Google Maps does show a large structure at this location, chances are high that this is a newer building and the opera house has been demolished. There is no available street view or current photos to confirm this, however.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater