Edwards' Theatre

Main Street,
East Hampton, NY 11937

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Edwards' Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Edwards' Theatre (with the apostrophe) was opened by LeRoy Edwards on April 10, 1915.

The building, however, dated back to 1896 when it was an ice cream parlor.

In 1901 it was moved across the street, enlarged and became a bicycle shop. Shortly before 1906 it was used as a roller rink.

It then became a garage before it’s reincarnation as a theater in 1915.

The theater remained in operation until the new, luxurious, Edwards Theatre opened on August 30, 1926.

Contributed by robert boehm

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

robboehm
robboehm on October 6, 2013 at 7:15 am

According to information in the East Hampton Star a number of motion picture operations occurred in East Hampton prior to the Edwards'. The one which prospered longest was run by Cleaves & Strong in a second floor space. Their operation began in 1913 and lasted until they were bought out by Edwards in 1916.

robboehm
robboehm on March 14, 2015 at 8:59 am

Old ad uploaded. Notice the apostrophe, as I set up the site. When the new Edwards opened the apostrophe was a thing of the past.

robboehm
robboehm on March 24, 2015 at 7:10 am

Photo of the original Edwards', which had, obviously, been a store previously. Determined it, too, was located on Main Street which should be update in the lead.

robboehm
robboehm on April 3, 2015 at 5:19 am

Photo of the Edwards as a garage; Edwards garage. Hence the name. And it’s the Main Street Garage meaning this picture was taken after the building had been moved from another part of town.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater