1 person favorited this theater
The Palace Theatre opened at Easter 1912 as a live theatre and was designed by a Mr. King. The theatre had a 35 feet wide proscenium, a 45 feet deep stage and 12 dressing rooms. The managing director was H.J.F. Crosby of Hewitts Brewery. At the time a ventriloquist act was most popular and by 1914 the Palace Theatre was run by H.E. Dobney who introduced cine-variety until the war years started and finshed 1914-1918. The Palace Theatre would put on odd shows during the war for 312 poor children in connection with R.A.O.B. In 1919 the company controlling the theatre (Palace Theatre Scunthorpe Ltd.) was formed. George H. Buckley was the manager until 1925 then the reins were handed to John C. Jazon. In the 1930’s a Western Electri(WE) sound system was fitted and the films were being booked by the Clifford Kemp film services of Leeds. The Palace Theatre was under the direction of the Butterworth Theatres chain and closed as a live theatre in 1933.
The next couple of years it underwent a revamp and reopened as the Savoy Cinema on 7th November 1938 running pictures and live acts wich included comedian Rob Wilton. It was equipped with a Compton organ. For the next two decades the Savoy Cinema went from strength to strength then in November 1954 Sol Sheckman was seeking an outlet for his Essoldo group based in Newcastle on Tyne made an offer for the Savoy Cinema and soon installed full CinemaScope with full four track magnetic stereophonic sound and the Savoy Cinema then changed name to the Essoldo. Then came the epic films and gone were the stage shows. By 1972 Essoldo had sold the building to Classic Cinemas Ltd of Baker Street, London. It was swiftly renamed Classic Cinema. By the mid-1970’s the cinema was bringing in very little profit and closed as a cinema for good ending with a double bill of Elvis Presley movies “Speedway” and “Fun in Acapulco”.
After closing the building was stripped out and became a discount store known has Pennywise and by the 1990’s was Poundstrecher. By 1999 the building was derelict and was in such a state that it looked as if it was a garden feature with all the trees and plants growing from it than an old cinema, such a shame. In 2000 it was decided Scunthorpe town centre would be getting a revamp and in Febuary 2002 along with the Salvation Army building the former Palace Theatre was demolished and F. Hinds Jewellers now stands on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater