6543 S. Tamiami Trail,
1 person favorited this theater
The Siesta Drive-In opened in December of 1952. It featured a 400 car parking ramp with 130 ft. wide screen tower. It was built by F. Hugh Thomas of Waller & Thomas Amusements. They also built and were operating the Trail Drive-In at that time. In March of 1953, Mose L. Waller and F. Hugh Thomas where indicted for failing to pay Federal Admission Taxes at the trial. They were sentenced to 6 months in federal prison and to pay $5,000 in fines. Their jail time was suspended if the fine was paid within two years. In 1955, Ochs Management took over the operation of the Siesta Drive-In. In April of 1958, F. Hugh Thomas returned to operating the Siesta Dtive-In again.
In July of 1960, the Siesta was closed for good and the drive-in was demolished. The property was redeveloped for retail. It is now the Sarasota Pavilion shopping center.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater