Oldpark Road and Torrens Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Park Cinema, situated at the junction of Oldpark Road and Torrens Avenue, opened on 12th December 1936 with a charity performance of “The Three Musketeers” starring Walter Able. It opened to the public on 14th December 1936 with “Captain Blood” starring Errol Flynn. It was advertised as “Belfast’s Latest Luxury Cinema”, a rather pretentious claim as, on 12th December 1936, the Broadway Cinema and Curzon Cinema also opened!
Despite appearing to prosper, the Park Cinema suddenly closed in 1971. But with a new determination it reopened on 1st May 1972, only to be badly damaged by an IRA bomb less than a month later, on 27th May, after which it closed for good. The building stood derelict for many years, and was still standing in 1996, when a planning application was submitted to develop the site as a petrol station and Spar supermarket. By 2018 the site is used for car parking.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater