23 Oldham Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Theatre Royal on Oldham Road was diagonally across the Cotton Street intersection from the Hippodrome/Empire/Tameside Theatre. The Theatre Royal opened on 14th September 1891 as a drama theatre, built for Charles Revill. It had a capacity for 3,000 (including standing spaces).
Designed by noted theatre architect Frank Matcham. The auditorium had two horse-shoe shaped balconies, and there were boxes on each side of the 29 feet wide proscenium. The stage was 41 feet deep and 75 feet wide. The overall decorative scheme was described as ‘Arabesque’.
The Theatre Royal was equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system and converted into a cinema in 1931. It remained a cinema until 1939. It then reverted back to live theatre use from 1940 until it was closed in 1953. It was later used as a bingo hall, and was demolished in 1963.
In 2013 Bees Knees Limousines operate from this address.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater