No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. The Market Theatre was behind what is now the Green Man public house on the Market Square. Access to the theatre was through the arch in the left of the façade of the pub. The Market Theatre was opened on 21st January 1911 with 400 seats, but the Kinematograph Year Book 1914 has no entries for Aylesbury. It was operated by the Aylesbury Electric Theatre Co. It was destroyed by fire on Easter Saturday 1924.
The Market Theatre was rebuilt to the plans of architectural firm Taylor & White and re-opened on 22nd December 1924 with 648 seats. KYB 1931 indicates that RCA sound has been installed and that the venue presents “Varieties and Pictures”. The proprietor is C. Crocker. KYB 1942 indicates the seating as 648 and “Varieties” is omitted.
There is no mention of this theatre in the 1947 and 1954 editions of KYB, although it had re-opened in 1953 as the New Market Theatre. This was a short lived venture as it was closed in 1954. The floor of the stalls was levelled and it became the Grosvenor Rink & Ballroom. Later known as the Borough Hall, it was closed in around 1980, and was later demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater