Palace Theatre

Esplanade,
Redcar, TS10 3AE

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Palace Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located in the seaside town of Redcar, Cleveland. The Palace of Varieties was opened around 1912. It had a 20 feet wide proscenium, six dressing rooms and a decent size stage. There was also a café for the convenience of its patrons. By the end of 1913 it was presenting films as part of the variety programme.

In 1921 it was taken over by Messrs. Lumley & Bennett. By 1926 it was mainly used as a cinema and was operated by Arthur R. Bennett. In 1929 a British Thomson Houston(BTH) sound system was installed, one of the first in the north-east of England, and under new owners C.E. & R.B. Goldsborough it was re-named Palace Theatre.

The Palace Theatre was equipped to show CinemaScope films in 1955. The Palace Theatre closed as a cinema in 1962. It was converted into a bingo club, and in 1977 a new entrance frontage was added (the top gable of the original façade could still be seen if you stood away from the building). The Palace Bingo Club closed in 1979. In 1982 it was purchased by Nobles Amusements and converted into an amusement arcade, but this had closed by 2007, and the building was demolished around 2012.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Ian
Ian on February 25, 2014 at 3:02 am

Board-up and for sale in 2007:–

PALACE REDCAR

stephen1964
stephen1964 on March 24, 2015 at 6:33 am

C.E Goldsborough was also known as Constence Emma Goldsborough she owned the palace in the early days with her husband. She had a sister called Kate maude she married a man called frank b etherington. They whent on to have a baby boy who was born in the palace in 1916 by the name of Frank w Etherington.Frank w whent on to own the palace in 1937 at the age of 21 Constance was Frank w auntie….Frank w whent on to run the palace as a cinema showing all the great movies of the time but in 1962 and because of other cinemas in the town it closed. In september that year it became a cash bingo hall Frank w was still the owner…. In 1977 the palace underwent a £80,000 facelift making the palace look more modern from the outsise it had the entrance moved to the right hand side, it had two bars, eating palces, and all the mod cons a bingo hall would have today…But in october 1979 the palace closed quite sudden due to another bingo hall that came to redcar it was owned by nobles arcades…In 1982 nobles bought the palace was bought by nobles who then ran it as a amusement arcade but it didnt last long….The palace was left standing empty for years even though people tried to open it into other venue’s.In 2012 it was demolished due to it having problem’s with its under surface… The Knew palace hub in the town now stands on it’s site.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater