Metropole de Luxe Cinema
153 Ashley Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the St. Pauls district of Bristol. The Metropole Cinema was opened in 1913 by the Eastville Hippodrome Co. Ltd. headed by George Allen. It had 700 seats, all on a single floor. It was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system in 1930.
In 1937, the Metropole Cinema was enlarged to the plans of architect W.H. Watkins and now had 1,460 seats in stalls and circle levels. It re-opened on 31st January 1938. as the Metropole de Luxe Cinema. Soon to revert back to its original name of Metropole Cinema.
The Metropole Cinema was taken over by the Star Cinemas chain in September 1967, and soon was operating as a part-time cinema/bingo operation. It closed to films in 1968 and was converted into a Star Bingo Club. The Bingo club closed at the end of 1974.
It re-opened as the Metropole de Luxe Cinema on 29th August 1977 with Charlton Heston in “Earthquake”. By March 1978 it began screening Indian ‘Bollywood’ films. It was finally closed in 1980 and the building was boarded up. It has since been demolished and in 2012, a new building on the site contained a Coral Bookmakers (betting shop).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater