Royal Super Cinema
160 Breck Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Everton district to the northeast of the city centre. The Theatre Royal was opened on 24th December 1888 with a performance of the opera “The Bohemian Girl”. The architect and builder was W. Redman and interior decorations were carried out by Goodall & Co. Seating was provided in stalls & pit on the ground level, and in the circle and four boxes along each side-wall upstairs.
From 3rd August 1891 it became a variety theatre, and then from around 1906, it became a playhouse, which operated until 1920. It was taken over by the local Gordan Cinema circuit and was transformed into a 1,100 seat ‘super’ cinema, which opened as the Royal Super Cinema on 11th November 1920 with Corinne Griffiths in “The Bramble Bush”.
In May 1933 it was leased to the Regent Circuit (part of Associated British Cinemas(ABC)), and in May 1934 it was taken over by the Liverpool based Regent Enterprise circuit. In March 1938 it was taken over by Southan Morris Associated Cinemas Ltd. and they were taken over by the Newcastle based Essoldo chain in October 1954.
The Royal Cinema was closed on 16th January 1965 with “Robin and the Seven Hoods”, starring Frank Sinatra and “The Bugs Bunny Show No. 3”. It was converted into a Top Flight Bingo Club which finally closed in March 1997 when a new purpose-built Mecca Bingo Club opened in the area. The building is now in use as a cash & carry furniture store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater