500 Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
There could well have been two (or three) different movie theatres operating in Loyalton, CA. The Loyalton Theatre was located in an old gymnasium, built in 1905, across the street from the Sierra Booster office. It opened prior to 1926 when it was listed with 200 seats, and the same in 1929. By 1931, it was listed in the Film Daily Yearbook with 300 seats. Listed as (Closed) in 1932, 1933 & 1934. It had reopened by 1935 and operated until 1938, when it was again listed as (Closed) with 300 seats.
In 1939 a 333-seat Quonset Hut style Sierra Theatre was built on Main Street at the corner of 3rd Street. It operated until 1944 when it was listed as (Closed). By 1945, it had re-opened as the Loyalton Theatre and continued to operated until 1946. Around 1995 the roof caved in due to snow. The towns' post office now sits on the site.
In 1947, a 200-seat Loyalton Theatre was the only theatre operating in the town, and could well be the earlier theatre. By 1949 it was listed with 196 seats and was still operating in 1955.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater