17-21 Hide Hill,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland. Built on the site of the Queens Rooms, which had operated as a cinema from 1913 until 1923. The Berwick Theatre was opened on 26th January 1928 with the film “The Flag Lieutenant” starring Henry Edwards. It was designed for both cinema and theatre use by Southport based architect Albert Schofield, and had seating provided in stalls and circle levels. The proscenium was 35 feet wide, the stage 28 feet deep and there were six dressing rooms. There was also a café and dance hall. The projection box was on the stage, giving a rear projection system. The first stage production was “Veronique” by the Berwick Operatic Society on 14th to 18th February 1928.
In August 1929 it was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system and screened “The Donovan Affair” starring Jack Holt. Programming through the years was a mix of live variety shows, Christmas pantomimes and films. The Berwick Theatre was the first in Berwick-upon-Tweed to install CinemaScope on 10th January 1955 when Richard Burton in “The Robe” was screened. The Berwick Theatre was still open in 1966, but closed soon after and was converted into a bingo club. This closed on 18th December 2011, a victim of the smoking ban in public places, the rising popularity of online bingo and the Government’s new tax on playing bingo. By 2017 it had been converted into a furniture store & Indian restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater