21 Alexandra Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Swadlincote, south Derbyshire. The Majestic Cinema was opened on 15th May 1933. It was advertised as the ‘Majestic Super Cinema’. It had a 33 feet wide proscenium and a 25 feet deep stage, with five dressing rooms.
It was equipped with CinemaScope in 1956, and the first film to play in that format was “Seven Brides for Seven Brothers” on 25th February 1956. In January 1957 the pantomime “Sinbad the Sailor” was produced on the stage.
The Majestic Cinema was closed in the early-1960’s and was converted into a bingo club. In the 1970’s it was converted into Royall’s Theatre Club, which attracted name stars like Tommy Cooper and Arthur Askey to appear here. It did not last long as the owner went bankrupt. The empty building became derelict and was demolished in 1984. A Kwik-Save supermarket was built on the site. This too has now closed and the land is due to be redeveloped for housing.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater