Rutland Picture House
30 Rutland Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Rutland Picture House opened in January 1915 on Rutland Road at its junction with Burton Road and Neepend Lane, on the north side of Sheffield. The cinema had a tower feature on its exterior, and the projection box was at the rear of the stalls at ground level. The site is now (2014) occupied by a 1960’s looking office building home to Wells Richardson, chartered accountants. The footprint of the cinema is still there.
Kinematograph Year Book 1928 records the proprietors as Rutland Picture House Ltd. and there were two shows nightly. In KYB 1931 the Rutland Picture House is one of the minority of Sheffield cinemas still not wired for sound. It was remodelled in 1934 by the Sheffield based Kenneth Friese Greene, whose firm became Modernisation Ltd. in 1941. BTH sound had been installed by KYB 1935 which also gives the capacity as 900 and states that films are “booked at hall” This is all repeated in KYB 1937.
In KYB 1942, seating has fallen to 816, otherwise ownership and other details remain unchanged; as they are in KYB 1945 and 1947. The cinema is not listed in KYB 1950 and beyond.
One source reports that it “closed in the early-1940’s”, another source states it was damaged on the first night of the German blitz on the city in autumn 1940 and never reopened. The film showing at the time was “Hitler, Beast of Berlin” which remained advertised on the building for several years with the last two words removed. However, the Rutland Picture House was still listed in KYBs 1942/45/47. The building was demolished in the 1950’s. The same source reports a balcony, stage and two dressing rooms.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater