18 Spa Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally built as the Olympia Skating Rink, it began screening films around 1908. It converted to the New Olympia Cinema opened on 27th May 1912. Seating was proved for 2,200 (the cheaper seats were located behind the screen!). There was a small balcony along one side of the auditorium. The cinema also featured music hall acts as part of the programme.
The New Olympia Cinema was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system in 1930, and it was re-named Regal Cinema in 1931. It was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in around 1932. Seating was now provided for 2,380.
In 1947 it was taken over by independent operator Arthur Hall, and operating under a company named Woodhall Entertainments (based in Manchester), it was re-named Astor Cinema. The seating capacity had been reduced to 1,907 when it closed in 1955.
It was converted back into a skating rink, named the Nevada Rink, which was destroyed by a fire in 1985. It was demolished, and the Bolton Ladies and Girls Club has been built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater