Lexington Theatre

1162 E. 63rd Street,
Chicago, IL 60637

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 6 comments

3Gary3
3Gary3 on October 29, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Hre is an exterior picture of the Lex by the left corner http://www.chicago-l.org/trains/gallery/images/6000/cta6372.jpg

KenC
KenC on October 8, 2010 at 4:55 am

At the Theatre Historical Society in Elmhurst,IL. ,you can see: a weekly flyer (circa 1941) of the Lex- COOLED by refrigeration-1162 East 63rd Street -DORCHESTER 1085. A number of films are advertised inside the flyer; here and there are phrases like PUSH BACK SEATS,FREE CHECKING SERVICE, PERFECT SOUND. Also, a nice shot of the outside -circa 1936. 2 BLOOD CURDLING HORROR PICTURES! KARLOFF THE WALKING DEAD plus REVOLT of the DEMONS(the name was changed;it’s actually REVOLT OF THE ZOMBIES).A number of people are standing outside, by and near the boxoffice. All look like they’re having a good time. Oh, and a skeleton is hanging near the boxoffice, and a guy in a skeleton mask and outfit is on a hospital bed?!?! Most of the people are looking into the camera.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on November 26, 2008 at 5:16 am

Phone number in 1954 (as the Lex) was NOrml 7-4848.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 11, 2007 at 3:22 am

A Kimball theater organ size 2/12 was installed in the Lexington Theater in 1925.

KenC
KenC on August 14, 2006 at 4:16 am

The Lex theatre, like many other theatres in Chicago in the late 60s-early 70s, switched to an “ADULTS ONLY” policy in an attempt to survive. In the late 50s through the 60s, the Lex played mostly triple features with a 4 change a week policy- very similar to the Mode theatre. Lots of westerns, horror/sci-fi, comedies, and dramas.In 1969 or 1970, there was a minor name change: LEX PLAYHOUSE. From the Chicago Sun Times movie directory,Sunday May 31, 1970: LEX PLAYHOUSE 1162 E. 63rd St. OPEN 11:30 A. M. FOR ADULTS- 18 YEARS & OLDER ONLY “BUSHWACKERS” & “HOUSE NEAR the PRADA”. I think within two years the Lex closed.

Broan
Broan on September 27, 2005 at 1:41 am

Architect was apparently JEO Pridmore. The September 25, 1912 Tribune article lists seating as 1800, but the description of the theatre seems consistent.