566 Princes Highway,
1 person favorited this theater
Rockdale is nine miles south of Sydney’s cbd on the western shores of Botany Bay and was declared a City in 1995.
Films were shown at this address in 1915 and a proper theatre building was constructed in 1921, called the Acme Theatre. It was operated by Broadway Theatres Ltd. who also ran the Rockdale Rex Theatre.
In 1945 the Acme Theatre was refurbished with new seats and the building brought up to code with additional exits. Greater Union took over 1n March 1947, managing the theatre as a member of their Odeon circuit. The actual owners were Acme Theatres Ltd. who had ongoing clashes with GU over complaints about maintenance and safety matters affecting license renewals.
By 1969 Acme Theatres was gone and the new operator was GU’s Odeon-Kings subsidiary. This lasted until late-1973 when GU closed the theatre. It was sold after a few years and reopened as the Alfa Theatre only to be destroyed in a huge fire in April 1977.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater