Rocket Drive-In

2881 North Avenue,
Grand Junction, CO 81501

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Rocket Sign (1987)

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Rocket Drive-In was Grand Junction’s third drive-in offering. It was built by the Scales family in 1955 on the sight of a former orchard and field. The property was located on the south side of North Avenue (US 6 & 24), just east of the Chief Drive-In. It was located about 300' south of the road, behind a strip of other properties including the Hurt Drive-In restaurant, a radiator shop and the Fruitvale Sanitation office. The Scales sold the business (not the land) to Westland Theatres in the 1960’s.

The Rocket Drive-In had the distinction of being built after the introduction of CinemaScope in 1954 so it was built with a horizontally curved screen. The entrance went south from North Avenue along a the west side of the property. The screen was at the north side of the property and faced south. The concession stand and booth were in a single story building in the middle of the field. The east side of the property was bounded by a street which became Melody Lane. The return and exit road were along the east side, across the north (behind the screen) back to the in/out road by the ticket booth.

The projection was initially via Motiograph (if I remember it right) projectors. In 1979 these were replaced with a platter system and a Simplex XL (the number two machine from the Chief Drive-In) was installed. The speakers were upgraded to Reed cast speakers to be common with other Westland theaters.

The Rocket Drive-In closed in 1985 when Westland (Commonwealth) opted to not renew the real estate lease. The advent of better cable TV, VCR and a local economic downturn all factored into the decision to not renew the lease. The Rocket Drive-In as well as the surrounding properties were sold to WalMart. They opened their store on the site in 1989. Westland/Commonwealth salvaged the equipment and sent it to their warehouse in Colorado Springs.

The Scales family operated another Rocket Drive-In in Durango, Colorado. It was in operation as late as the 1990’s.

Contributed by Nick Genova

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Nick
Nick on September 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Located the opening date, April 16, 1955. First show was Five Guns West followed by The Fast & the Furious.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater